Re: [fluid-dev] Wrong sound pitches with sample rate 48kHz

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Wrong sound pitches with sample rate 48kHz
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 00:14:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Reinhold,

>Example: When using the sample rate 48kHz a note-on event with note A (440 Hz) sounds as note Bb (~ 466 Hz).

I just verified using  v2.1.1 (master branch) (I guess it behaves like v2.1.0 for this issue).

Playing a note A4  at sr 48000Hz (or 96000Hz) gives the same pitch that with 44100Hz.

The test has be done by hear (using dsound) with GUGSv1_47.sf2 (from Christian Collins) preset 0 piano.

Suggestion: Have you the possibility to do the test using different audio card (keeping the same host driver) ?

Regards

jjc

> Message du 15/04/20 08:51
> De : "Reinhold Hoffmann" <address@hidden>
> A : address@hidden
> Copie à :
> Objet : [fluid-dev] Wrong sound pitches with sample rate 48kHz

Hi,

After moving from fluidsynth 2.0.5 to fluidsynth 2.1.0 we encountered a major issue with sample rate 48kHz. The sounds do not meet the required pitches.

Example: When using the sample rate 48kHz a note-on event with note A (440 Hz) sounds as note Bb (~ 466 Hz). Using the sample rate 44.1kHz in the same environment gives the correct pitches. The issue exists for every used soundfont file and for the two drivers which we use (DSound, ASIO through portaudio). With fluidsynth 2.0.5 all is ok. Therefore I conclude that the issue came in between 2.0.5 and 2.1.0.

The fluidsynth x64 libraries are built with Windows Visual Studio. The officially available binary Windows libraries (fluidsynth-2.1.0-win64.zip) from https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/releases/tag/v2.1.0 show the same problem.

I have attached a simple MIDI file with a note-on event of note A. May be somebody can check the issue when using a sample rate of 48kHz.

Help and/or advices are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

Reinhold