[fluid-dev] SoundFont exclusiveClass

From: Dan Eble
Subject: [fluid-dev] SoundFont exclusiveClass
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 13:48:53 -0400

The SoundFont spec (version 2.04) describes the “exclusiveClass" option this
way: "when this note is initiated, any other sounding note with the same
exclusive class value should be rapidly terminated.”

I hear this effect when I use the synthesizer included in the editor I’m using
(Polyphone), but when I use Fluidsynth, I’ve noticed these irritations:

1. Fluidsynth seems to interpret “rapidly” as 750 ms after the new note is
initiated.  I understand that it is a subjective word, but there are musical
works for which 750 ms does not qualify IMHO.

2. If the sound of the instrument has not naturally decayed by the time
Fluidsynth decides to cut it off, there is a distracting click.

I searched the list archives and issue tracker and came up empty.  Are these
known issues?  Is there a work-around?

If you like, I could create a small soundfont and MIDI file to help reproduce
the problem.  Let me know.

Regards,
—
Dan