Re: [fluid-dev] Recent discussions on sysex commands and the MIDI Tuning

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Recent discussions on sysex commands and the MIDI Tuning Standard
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:56:45 +0200

Hi David,

Good news: the problem is not a bug in FluidSynth but a problem with
your code :-)

Your Sysex messages are incorrecly formatted. The EOX end marker (last
byte of your Sysex messages) should be 0xF7, but yours end with 0x7F.
That causes FluidSynth not to discard the last byte when reading from
the file, which in turn makes the tuning mechanism bail out because
the message data has the wrong size.

Fix your Sysex messages and I think you should hear the correct
tuning, even when specifying the MIDI file via command-line.

Oh, and also fix your cent values, as R.L. Horn has pointed out. The
14 bit cent value should be transmitted in normal MIDI fashion as two
data bytes which have their MSB (highest bit) set to 0. So these two
byes are never allowed to be larger than 0x7F (01111111).

Cheers,

   Marcus