Re: [fluid-dev] Recent discussions on sysex commands and the MIDI Tuning

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Recent discussions on sysex commands and the MIDI Tuning Standard
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:14:23 +0200

Hi David,

> I'm using Kubuntu 16.04. dpkg -l fluidsynth lists:
> fluidsynth                      1.1.6-3              amd64
>
> And are you sure it plays fine? I don't mean to question your ears but
> I'm definitely not getting the quarter-tones in the Fluidsynth
> version.

Yes, it plays fine, I can hear quarter-notes. But I started FluidSynth
as a server and used aplaymidi to send the file to it. When specifying
the file on the command-line, I get the same results as R.L. Horn
mentioned, so there seems to be a problem with parsing the MIDI file.

Try running fluidsynth as a server:
fluidsynth -a alsa soundfonts/fluid.sf2

Then in another shell:
aplaymidi -p 129:0 Piano_Standard.midi

Your port number will probably be different, not 129:0. Check it with
aplaymidi -l

Cheers,

   Marcus