Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:31:23 -0600

David:

I am not able to run the test on my 450 megahertz (Xubuntu 12.04) system.

Although your build process seemed to work okay, and no errors were reported, it has changed my system to where qjackctl crashes every time I try to run it.  I have listings of all the retrieval & build steps, if that would be helpful in determining the problem.

Qsynth, on that system, is configured to use jack, and it reports that jack is not there, and that it can't continue without it.  At that point, I can click the "Setup" button on Qsynth, and change the audio to PulseAudio, but after hitting the OK button, Qsynth exits, and when I restart it, it again reports that it cannot run because jack is not running.

I did not find any ".qsynth" or ".fluidsynth" folder to change the configuration manually.

I tried re-installing qjackctl, but that did not make any difference.  Qjackctl still crashes.  In the past, I have not been able to figure out how to run fluidsynth from the command line successfully.  If I could, I could possibly run fluidsynth that way.

I know to all of you, running fluidsynth from the command line is easy and natural, but using a GUI application (Qsynth) is difficult.  For me, it is the exact opposite.

So it seems I have hit a dead-end on this, unless someone has any ideas.

The partition I built fluidsynth on (on that machine) is now unusable as a music workstation, but I plan to install Ubuntu-Studio on it anyway, so it isn't a terrible loss.  Still, it would be nice if I could somehow fix it (for the time being).

- Aere

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 22:50 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 07/31/2012 10:39 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> David:
>
> I performed the steps for retrieving and building the release-candidate
> fluidsynth.

Thanks!

> Though it complained that DOXYGEN (or something like that)
> was not found, it seemed to build and install without any error.

The doxygen error can be ignored.

> I can supply printouts of the entire process, if that would be helpful.
>
> My testing also went well, since I did not discover any problems.
>
> The problem I have in doing this testing, is that I have no way of
> knowing if it used the libfluidsynth1 generated during the process, or
> what I was using before (the repackaged version of your PPA for Ubuntu
> 11.10).

Try verifying by running these two commands:

1) "which fluidsynth", should return /usr/local/bin/fluidsynth

2) "ldd /usr/local/bin/fluidsynth | grep fluid", should return
"libfluidsynth.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1" (followed by a
hex number).

If the second one fails, i e, points to somewhere in "/usr/lib" instead
of the newly installed file in "/usr/local/lib", try running "sudo
ldconfig", then try again.

Let me know how this goes.

Sincerely,
Aere