Re: [fluid-dev] Link error for iOS

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Link error for iOS
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 06:56:36 +0100

On Monday 21 November 2011, MINGFEN WANG wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
> He/she must release all changes to the FluidSynth source code under the
LGPL.
> He/she must release all other code of the application, either as source or
as linkable object files, so that an independent user can relink the
application with a different version of FluidSynth.
> LGPL should be a standard to judge legal or not, if people use fluid and
contribute their modified part to the project, why they should also release
other part code of their software as GPL?

Because this is written in the terms of the LGPL license, section 6.

See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or link a "work
that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions
of the Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided
that the terms permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and
reverse engineering for debugging such modifications.

You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the Library is
used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by this License. You
must supply a copy of this License. If the work during execution displays
copyright notices, you must include the copyright notice for the Library among
them, as well as a reference directing the user to the copy of this License.
Also, you must do one of these things:

    a) Accompany the work with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code for the Library including whatever changes were used in the work
(which must be distributed under Sections 1 and 2 above); and, if the work is
an executable linked with the Library, with the complete machine-readable
"work that uses the Library", as object code and/or source code, so that the
user can modify the Library and then relink to produce a modified executable
containing the modified Library. (It is understood that the user who changes
the contents of definitions files in the Library will not necessarily be able
to recompile the application to use the modified definitions.)
    b) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the Library. A
suitable mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a copy of the library
already present on the user's computer system, rather than copying library
functions into the executable, and (2) will operate properly with a modified
version of the library, if the user installs one, as long as the modified
version is interface-compatible with the version that the work was made with.
    c) Accompany the work with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give the same user the materials specified in Subsection 6a, above,
for a charge no more than the cost of performing this distribution.
    d) If distribution of the work is made by offering access to copy from a
designated place, offer equivalent access to copy the above specified
materials from the same place.
    e) Verify that the user has already received a copy of these materials or
that you have already sent this user a copy.

> This is why I hesitate to use fluid in my iOS project, other part of my
project contains my original  real time voice recognition engine, and I have
no plan to release its code to the public.

> 在 2011-11-20,下午9:11, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas 写道:
>
> > On Sunday 20 November 2011, MINGFEN WANG wrote:
> >> I will consider other commercial products to avoid the risk.
> >
> > I'm sorry to read that. The fact is that there isn't any legal
uncertainty;
> > you can use and run FluidSynth under iOS like any other operating system.
The