Re: [fluid-dev] Defining a standard directory for soundfonts Was: First

From: Stefan Kost
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Defining a standard directory for soundfonts Was: First Try Failure
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:29:32 +0200

On 09/06/11 15:39, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 12:24 PM, Matt Giuca wrote:
>> That's a good idea. That way, you would be able to just type
>> 'fluidsynth<midifile>' to play a song.
>>
>> Can I also recommend having a standard environment variable
>> SOUNDFONTPATH or similar which contains a colon-separated (semicolon
>> on Windows) list of paths to search for soundfonts. That would be
>> similar to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, Java's CLASSPATH or Python's PYTHONPATH
>> which I can set in my .bashrc file to customise where I keep my
>> SoundFonts. This would be searched in addition to (and in preference
>> to) the default path.
>>
>> Which distros use /usr/share/soundfonts/ to store the soundfonts?
>> Debian (or at least Ubuntu, so I assume Debian) uses
>> /usr/share/sounds/sf2/.
>
> /usr/share/soundfonts/ was just my personal preference. I don't mind
> adhering to what Debian/Ubuntu currently does, although I vaguely
> recall that Fedora might have had a different path.
>
> But I'm not completely sure about the SOUNDFONTPATH thing - how would
> that be used? Is that just to make people write foo.sf2 instead of
> /usr/share/soundfonts/foo.sf2? It still wouldn't give FluidSynth
> itself something to load as fallback.

The idea of the path is that it can be extended. E.g. the system uses
SOUNDFONTPATH=/usr/share/sounds/sf2/. Now the user wants to download own
soundfonts to $HOME/sounds/sf2. Then the user just adds
SOUNDFONTPATH=$SOUNDFONTPATH:$HOME/sounds/sf2 and apps using soundfonts
would consider that directory too. Apps could present the available
soundfonts as a flat combobox with a lst of patches.

Stefan