Re: [fluid-dev] coreaudio driver bug

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] coreaudio driver bug
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:40:46 -0400

On Sep 24, 2010, at 6:16 AM, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have installed version 1.1.12 and yes, the preset-reset is not there anymore, thanks. It works fine now.

Glad to hear that!

Except for the coreaudio driver.

Here is the description of the bug:

1. with this command-line

./fluidsynth -a coreaudio -n [...]

the output is not right and there is significant distortion, which appears to be sample-format related.

2. a comparable command-line with portaudio

./fluidsynth -a portaudio -n [...]

works fine.

This is on OSX 10.5, MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel duo core. A soundfile example with the output can be found in

Fluidsynth using Coreaudio renders the various MIDI files that I have tested without any distortion.

Have you tried to render your MIDI file using other software on OS X ?

Note that fluidsynth renders MIDI files even with the "-n" switch.

$ fluidsynth -a coreaudio -F ~/Desktop/File.wav  -n soundfont.sf2 midifile.mid
FluidSynth version 1.1.2
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Rendering audio to file '~/Desktop/File.wav'..