Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth bugs

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth bugs
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:05:45 -0400

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

Hi everyone

there seems to be a couple of bugs with fluidsynth (1.1.1, command- line program):

1. It resets all channes to prg 1, so when you play a midifile, all we get is piano from GM soundfonts. I have asked about this here, but no one responded. With a call to

 fluid_synth_sfload(synth, p->soundfont, 0);

Victor

The behavior that you describe depends on your midi file. If there are no PCs in your midi file you will get the default piano in each channel.

it seems this behaviour is prevented. But there does not seem to be a setting to prevent reset-presets in the fluidsynth program.

Yes, you can put in program changes by inputting a file such as the one outlined below

select 0 1 000 000
select 1 1 000 002
select 2 1 000 005
select 3 1 012 000
select 4 1 000 006
select 5 1 000 017

If you run "fluidsynth -f file_above /path/to/GM_soundfont" you can, for example, obtain channel settings like:

> channels
chan 0, Stereo Grand
chan 1, Electric Grand
chan 2, FM Electric Piano
chan 3, Bell Piano
chan 4, Harpsichord
chan 5, Percussive Organ

2. The 'coreaudio' driver sounds just horrible (OSX 10.5), whereas 'portaudio' or 'jack' are correct. It sounds as if there is a sample format issue,
because of the kind of distortion I am getting.

This also depends on the kind of hardware you are using (CPU(s), RAM), the density of MIDI events that are being received by fluidsynth. If you are using fluidsynth for live MIDI triggering, the sound quality should be of a good quality. However, if you are rendering a MIDI file with many channels and a high density of MIDI events you could be saturating your computer's CPU particularly if it is of a low clock rate. Sound distortion results in such a case.

Try different MIDI files (widely available online) of your favorite hit tunes to test the limits of your hardware. As they say: YMMV.

Hope this clears things up for you.