Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI mode
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:27:14 +0200

S. Christian Collins wrote:
Nobody has said anything about my proposed solution to this problem. I
hate to be a pain, but it really is an ideal solution that eliminates
the need for all of this discussion about when to note-off or not.

To reiterate my idea:
In my plan, note-off events wouldn't be eliminated, but instead required to be at least 8 ms after the note-on event.

Oh yes, we have talked about it. AFAIK it began when I proposed the same solution a month ago, when the idea was still mine! ;-)

See http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/1

And to sum it up; I like it mainly for the reasons you like it, Josh doesn't like it "since it isn't really the defined behavior for GM/GS and the delay would be awkward to get right with different SoundFont files".

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2009-10/msg00013.html and
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2009-10/msg00018.html
for example.