Re: [fluid-dev] New development

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New development
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:12:01 +0100

Josh Green wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 21:59 +0100, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > I don't think so. Seems that the PortAudio driver would be useful only to
> > Windows users, where FluidSynth has only a DirectSound driver with huge
> > latency problems. For this platform PortAudio provides ASIO and WinMM
> > audio drivers. There was also a WDM KS driver, but I don't know about the
> > current status of it. I don't know if this business would be a success or
> > a failure at all, before testing it. Even if PortAudio is not near our
> > (high) expectations, I would like to give it an opportunity.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pedro
>
> Seems to me like it is definitely worth improving the existing PortAudio
> driver.  Any idea what this would entail?
>       Josh

Briefly:
* Detect and define PORTAUDIO_* in the build system. I've done that using
pkg-config portaudio-2.0 >= 19. Allow to disable compilation of this driver,
maybe disable it by default?
* Implement new2() and call new2() from new() as it is usual in most other
audio drivers. Or leave that for a later version/never?
* Register the setting "audio.portaudio.device" to list/select detected
devices and backends as reported by Pa_GetDeviceCount() and
Pa_GetDeviceInfo().
* Maybe more settings? Some backends would require special ones?
* PortAudio API functions changed: Pa_OpenStream(), PaStreamCallback, ...
* Testing: ASIO in Windows, but it should also work for other
platforms/backends...

Regards,
Pedro