[fluid-dev] Fluidsynth scale tuning

From: Edenyard
Subject: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth scale tuning
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:08:47 +0000

This may sound a dumb question, but can someone explain to me whereabouts in Fluidsynth the scale tuning is set? In other words, the relationship between adjacent semitones, etc. Is the tuning equal-temperament, or some mean-tone system? How accurate is it?

I ask this because I've noticed that I'm getting an odd effect when I play fourths in certain places on the keyboard, where a rather unpleasant resultant note is being generated. The effect is worst when playing a D and G in the octave above middle C, i.e., a 9th and 12th above middle C.

At first, I assumed that it was a problem with the patch that I was using, but all patches seem to exhibit the same effect, although how objectionable it is depends to a certain degree on the characteristics of the sound of the patch in question.

Grateful, as ever, for any clues on this!

Cheers, Gerald.