[fluid-dev] Automatic polyphony reduction?

From: Kimmo Sundqvist
Subject: [fluid-dev] Automatic polyphony reduction?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:25:44 +0300

Hello

Having the polyphony set at 256, I experienced the dropping out of sound
output here and there in Chris Tilton's Overture.mid.

This is different than the screeches I experienced earlier, which were
characterised by the volume of the noise being many times louder than the
music.

I set the polyphony to 64 voices, and that fixed it.  I am not sure how many
voices a 933MHz Pentium III can support.  I was thinking if it would benefit
anyone to have Fluidsynth automatically and temporarily reduce polyphony to
avoid problems with polyphony set too high.  It could maybe report the
reduction somewhere.

I still have the Fluidsynth CPU usage at 99% all the time, so I cannot make
any estimates about the polyphonic capabilities of my machine.  Is there
anything I could do to find out why it does this?

-Kimmo S.