Re: [fluid-dev] Re: An evil screeching noise when playing

From: Kimmo Sundqvist
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: An evil screeching noise when playing
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:24:17 +0300

On Saturday 15 October 2005 11:51, Kimmo Sundqvist wrote:

> As soon as I have time, I will narrow the problem down to one USE variable.
>  I remember doing this before, but couldn't remove the screech no matter
> what I disabled.  I don't know what has changed since then.

The problem appears and disappears depending on the use of SSE.  I found this
inside the script (ebuild) that Portage uses to build Fluidsynth.

/usr/portage/media-sound/fluidsynth/fluidsynth-1.0.6.ebuild in any recent
machine running Gentoo linux has the following lines:

        if use sse; then
                myconf="--enable-SSE ${myconf}"
                # If your CFLAGS include optimizations for sse, ie:
                # -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -msse2
                # AND your USE flags include sse, ie: USE=sse,
                # the sounds with fluidsynth will be distorted.
                if [ `is-flag "-march=pentium4"` ]; then
                        filter-flags "-msse2"
                        filter-flags "-mfpmath=sse"
                fi
        fi

I feel silly that I didn't examine the ebuild carefully enough until now.

My CFLAGS are "-Os -mcpu=pentium3 -pipe" and I don't know why mcpu=pentium3 is
not excluded in the ebuild, why mcpu includes SSE optimizations (since it is
not march=pentium3 which could and should include them) and why GCC's SSE
optimizations conflict with Fluidsynth's.

What can you tell me about this?

-Kimmo S.