fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Create new knowledge type set: Software Lifecycle

From: Cormac McClean
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Create new knowledge type set: Software Lifecycle
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:28:44 -0500

Hi Teemu,

Apologies for the delay in replying. My teaching week is front-loaded
with classes, so it's only today (Wednesday) that I get a chance to
catch up with email.

> Did you use any "can be followed with" -rules? I am afraid that 10 is a
> lot to remember for students and with the rules you could reduce the
> number of types available in each state.
Yes, e.g. Idea can be followed by Idea, Requirements, Feedback,
Question, Answer;
Requirements can be followed by Requirements, Design, Testing,
Feedback, Question, Answer, and so on.

> Isn't the waterfall model also rather restrictive? In that sense some
> kind of rules could make a lot of sense in here.
That's how I planned it, yes.

> BTE: When using this typeset with programmer student, I would use the
> "progressive inquiry" typeset to generate discussion on the good and bad
> sides of the waterfall model. Just a thought.
Good idea, thanks.

> Is anyone interested in to create typeset for "extreme programming"
> (http://www.extremeprogramming.org/)? At least the user stories,
> elaboration and review of them,  release planning
> (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PlanningGame) etc. could be ran and this way
> teacher with help of knowledge building.
Yes, my students and I are investigating the various software
development models, including Extreme Programming as a variant of the
Incremental Model. After the Incremental Model Knowledge Type set I'd
like to create an Extreme Programming KTS.

> I think with this you should consider the possibility to create one more
> way to browse and organize the notes of the knowledge building. Check
> out these notes in the dev list:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fle3-dev/2004-11/msg00015.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fle3-dev/2003-01/msg00000.html
Thanks for those links.