fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] glob patterns on put()

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] glob patterns on put()
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:43:46 +0100

Hi Dennis!

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Dennis Schoen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to add support for glob patterns to put().

Sounds good. It's been a TODO item for a little while so it's
definitely a wanted feature.

> When I tried out fabric for the first time I wrote "put('*', '/some/path')"
> and was suprised it didn't work. The detailed error msg "Failure" wasn't
> very helpful too. ;-)
>
> I have a few questions:
> - which python versions does fabric want to support? Any objections to using
> the glob[1] module?

We try not to break Python 2.4 but the recommended version is 2.5.

I don't know when the glob module was added (docs don't tell but seems
to be 2.4 or earlier) but if it was in 2.5 then I suggest that you
catch the ImportError and handle the possibility in put() that "glob"
may be None.

> - what if we copy multiple files and one of them fails? Should the put()
> fail?

Yes. Fail-fast is the pervasive error handling strategy.

> I also have a github fork[2] with two small patches:
> - fix typo and remove trailing whitespace in description
> - fix command line argument parsing test

Nit-picking always welcomed.