Re: [ESPResSo-users] Force scaling wrong

From: Owen Hickey
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Force scaling wrong
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 12:11:53 +0100

Hey all,

There seems to be agreement among most of you that setting the forces
isn't a good idea, but I beg to differ. The reason they are now
settable in ESPResSo is that when I was doing electrophoresis
simulations with Shervin she discovered that many of the trajectories
had a large kink in the position versus time curves. These kinks
turned out to correspond to checkpoints. The reason is that after a
checkpoint the forces in the first step were recalculated and the LB
coupling force was ignored, meaning that the particles lose 1/2 dt
times the coupling force of momentum. Of course the LB fluid itself
had already received the whole coupling force and hence the system
acquires a center of mass velocity. This makes the measured velocity
v_measured = v_center + v_electrophoresis. This problem would probably
pop up in bulk measurements of diffusion or sedimentation too. Of
course there are a wide variety of situations where confinement
probably means that as long as this doesn't happen too often, it
probably doesn't matter, and occasionally breaking momentum
conservation and doing something a little wonky is okay, but that for
me personally is not a statement I'd like to put in my papers. The
same problem exists too with every thermostat except for Langevin,
where a workaround was build into ESPResSo.

Owen