Re: [ESPResSo-users] Force scaling wrong

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Force scaling wrong
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:43:18 +0000

Hi,

good point, Owen, I forgot about the different points in the ESPResSo
code where momentum is applied to the particles and the fluid. I think
still there is no disagreement that one should not set the forces
deliberately by hand. In Owen's and Joost's case the forces are set to
what they are physically based on checkpoints - in order to avoid the
discrepancy that would result from a recalculation. That is in my view
perfectly in line with Stefan's argument.

The bottom line is, as things stand with the integrator, setting
particle forces is needed when reading checkpoints but is otherwise
potentially harmful. As always, ESPResSo does *not* do the physics for you.

Cheers,
Ulf