espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Developer's documentation format

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Developer's documentation format
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:29:41 +0100

Hi!

>> * In the ESPResSo-wiki on http://espressomd.org * Pro: easy to
>> edit * Pro: always up-to-date * Con: only available when online *
>> Con: yet another account, yet another format
> I tend to disagree here, the old espresso wiki was always out of
> sync and outdated. Also the workflow, change something in the code,
> go to wiki and change it there again is quite inconvenient.

I believe you may have misunderstood the intention of my mailing. I'm
*not* talking about the documentation of the source code itself - that
will most probably stay in doxygen. I am talking about the additional
developer's docs, like the git primer etc.

>> I believe that I would prefer either the wiki or the LaTeX
>> document, but I'm open for other ideas.
> For votca we are using txt2tags (t2t) for some parts of the
> documentation. The big advantage is that once you have written
> something in t2t, you can convert it to html, mediawiki or latex.
> That makes it easy to keep documentation in different places/formats
> in sync. txt2tags is just one python script, no other dependencies.
> However, yet another format ;-)

Indeed, that would just be another format. I am not sure whether I agree
that having a tools that can generate output in several formats makes it
easy to sync documentation - you still need to sync it in the first place.

Olaf

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Pfaffenwaldring 27, D-70569 Stuttgart