Re: [emms-help] Can emms-lastfm display track info, such as aritist?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Can emms-lastfm display track info, such as aritist?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:07:57 +0100

William Xu <address@hidden> writes:

Hi William,

>> ,----[ C-h f emms-lastfm-radio-skip RET ]
>> | emms-lastfm-radio-skip is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
>> `emms-lastfm.el'.
>> | (emms-lastfm-radio-skip)
>> |
>> | Inform Last.fm that you want to skip the currently playing
>> | song.
>> `----
>
> Yes, I had found this one. But when i run that, i only got some
> messages in minibuffer:
>
> ,----
> | Contacting host: ws.audioscrobbler.com:80
> | EMMS: Rated current track
> `----
>
> The song is still playing... What I would like is stop current song
> immediately and start a new one.

Hm, it should skip to the next song, at least it did when I added that
feature...  A quick test didn't skip here, too.

Currently I don't have time to check what's wrong there.  Maybe last.fm
has changed something.  You could have a look if they provide an API
spec now and check if the commands emms-lastfm sends are up-to-date.

(When I wrote emms-lastfm.el the official API spec was the source code
of the official last.fm player.  I really hope this has improved.)

>>> Third, emms-all is lack of one line setup for emms-lastfm in the ";;
>>> setup" section, namely:
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> Right?
>>
>> No, I think this is intentional.  What about users that use that
>> setup to get another feature but don't want to use Last.fm?
>
> But besides listening to the lastfm radio, what other generic features
> emms-lastfm.el would provide...

No, I've meant users that use `emms-all' because they want to use the
browser and mpd, but have no account at last.fm.

> For me, at first, I didn't realized that I need (emms-lastfm-enable)
> at all, because M-x emms-lastfm-radio-similar-artists looks like just
> working. Without (emms-lastfm-enable) won't be good, I guess?

You can listen to last.fm radio without emms-lastfm-enable.  This
command only activates submission of locally played tracks.  (Listening
to radio will explicitly call emms-lastfm-disable, because the last.fm
rules say that you mustn'd scrobble tracks of streams.)

Bye,
Tassilo