emacsconf-discuss

Re: screencasting

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: screencasting
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 20:16:24 -0400

Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> It does, Amin. You have explained a lot. Thank you.

Great, cheers.

> I would not like to add that repository. How can I use `global-set-key'?
> By replacing all occurrences of `bind-key' with `global-set-key'?

Not quite; their APIs are similar but not exactly the same.  Replacing

    (bind-key "C-. q s" #'screencasting-start)

with

    (global-set-key (kbd "C-. q s") #'screencasting-start)

should do it.

> Also, how can I make screencast.el definitions become recognized by
> Emacs?

By putting it somewhere in your `load-path' (see C-h v load-path RET).
Generally speaking, a lisp/ directory within your `user-emacs-directory'
(most commonly ~/.emacs.d/) is a nice place.  To add that directory to
your `load-path', you could add the following snippet to your init file
(commonly ~/.emacs.d/init.el):

    (add-to-list 'load-path
                 (directory-file-name
                  (expand-file-name (convert-standard-filename "lisp")
                                    user-emacs-directory)))

Tip: you can examine each of the above functions using Emacs’s awesome
`describe-function', bound to “C-h f” by default.  For instance, you
could type C-h f directory-file-name RET and read directory-file-name’s
docstring.

Once ~/.emacs.d/lisp/ is in your `load-path', put screencasting.el there
and `require' it in your init file: (require 'screencasting).  Then you
should be all set for using screencasting.el’s definitions.