Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Format of tasks

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Format of tasks
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:35:22 -0400

>> Also, is there an easy way to rename a ProjectPage such that all
>> references to it are also updated on all planner pages?  For example,
>> I have SomeReallyLongPlannerPageName which at thetime was very
>> descriptive, but now I find annoying.  I've been using it for some
>> time, and therefore it's referenced by many other planner pages
>> (mostly daily pages).  I'd like to rename it to SomeShorterName.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this, or should I pull out my
>> SwissArmyChainsaw and write a perl script to it? :)

Well, you can do it with a trivial sed script, but a really useful and
underused unix tool that I think almost no one knows about/has is
der Mouse's "qsubst" program. It is emacs replace/query replace from a
command line. The command

qsubst SillyWord BetterWord *

does more or less what you think it would. This is great for
refactoring all sorts of things in big file collections.

I'm sure it is easily found with google. It is built in to NetBSD -- I
wish that the average linux distro had it, too.

Perry