[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner - Plan Pages - Tasks

From: Jody Klymak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner - Plan Pages - Tasks
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:02:12 -0700

Paul D. Kraus wrote:
I have been using the franklin covey product that embeds in Micro$oft outlook for awhile now. Its ABC priorities and weekly planning have been one of my best tools to manage my time. However I don't really care for Micro$oft products. I am an avid Linux user and hate being tied to my Micro$oft box for scheduling. I know their are planner software out in Linux but the integration into email/schedule/tasks with outlook and covey was not replaceable not in any way that I wasn't giving something up. I could care less about GUI's so when I stumbled across your plug ins for emacs I was elated. I just set everything up and I am playing with it and have some newbie questions. Not to familiar with the group yet so if these questions should each be separate mails please feel free to change the subject in your replies to split them.

1. If I create tasks in my own plan page for instance a plan page for home, a plan page for work, and a plan page for project X and I do not have start dates how can I on one screen see all of my tasks. I would assume there is a way to see all tasks from all plan pages with links to the actual plan pages but I can't seem to find it.

I don't think this is currently possible. But it shouldn't be too hard to do...

2. How can I add a note to a specific task that is tied to the task not the day page?

This is possible - C-h a task C-s note gives planner-create-note-from-task

3. How can I see appointments for several days rather then just the day I am on. I like to see just my tasks that I have scheduled for today but I like to see my next 3 days worth of appointments.

Depends on how you want to keep track of appointments. If you want to use diary, then planner-diary.el can display as many days as you like. If you want to have tasks with "times" on them (which you get reminded by planner-appt.el), I don't think this is possible right now. But it is surely doable.

I prefer planner-diary, particularly as there is a good diary to iCal converter (icalendar.el, though it doesn't "merge" entries).

Cheers,  Jody