Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-edit-task-description and timeclock

From: Dryice Liu
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-edit-task-description and timeclock
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 08:06:30 +0800

John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:
> After planner-edit-task-description, the .timelog file is edited so that all
> past instances of that task description are edited.
>
> I'm interested to hear what people think about this. I don't think it quite
> fits
> with my workflow.
>
> For example, lately I have been in the habit of editing a task description to
> say "follow-up:" at the beginning and then rescheduling the task for a day in
> the future. I do this after I have done the initial action but still need to
> do
> something more in the future. The reason I do it this way is to preserve the
> existing annotation information, and to avoid retyping some of the description
> again.
>
> So, it doesn't actually make sense for the previous instances in the .timelog
> file to be changed, because they were the initial doing of the task, while the
> follow-up task is not exactly a new task but not exactly the same task
> either.
>
> I'll give some more thought to whether my habit is a good one. Maybe I should
> be copying or re-creating the annotation information as part of a new task.
>
> In the meantime, I'd love to hear what other people think about this, and what
> some different approaches to configure the behavior could be.

Well if we leave the .timelog file unchanged, we'll have "orphan"
entries in the .timelog file which don't have a match in planner. I
don't think this is a good thing.

In your situation I'll create several tasks if it's big enough, or
reschedule it with it marked "in progress".

Just my 2 cents.

--
Dryice @ http://dryice.3322.org

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/sylvester-response.html