Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner Parasites

From: Chris Parsons
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner Parasites
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:53:46 +0100

On the 24th of May 2005 at 08:06, Christopher Allan Webber
<cwebber#dustycloud.org> wrote:

> The advantage of this is, instead of each and every student having to
> write in all the dates into any kind of digital planning device, you
> can just send them a "parasite" for them to embed into their planning
> program.  Or vice versa, you're taking a class.. wouldn't it be nice
> if you didn't have to do redundant planning, when you could just
> download the parasite file every other student in the class does,
> rather than taking the time to put it in yourself?  Or, when you have
> a doctors' appointment, your doctor could send a parasite to your
> inbox, which you could activate in gnus...
>
> I dunno, this is a goofy idea, but I figured you'd be the best to have
> comments on it! :)

I think that this is what the ICAL format was designed to do - I guess
that because of lack of tool support they haven't fully penetrated
yet. Outlook support in particular is poor, although:

 - You can export emacs diary entries into a vCalendar file which works
   in outlook [1].
 - You can already export Planner tasks and schedule information via a
   perl script [2].

IMHO a good step to take would be to write a native lisp ICAL
exporter/importer for schedule and tasks entries on Planner pages. I'll
add it to the PlannerWishlist on the wiki.

Has there been any native progress with this stuff that anyone knows
about?

Chris

[1] http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk/downloads/vcal-diary.el

[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.wiki.general/1768