Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse, emacs-wiki (planner even)

From: TC
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse, emacs-wiki (planner even)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:44:56 -0600

Michael wrote (on muse):
I'm feeling just a bit burned out with this task, which partly
> explains the long delay.

So if there's only one person working on this (much appreciated BTW), and everyone else seems to be bashing away with emacs-wiki itself then:

a. Is muse ever going to be able to replace emacs-wiki/planner? I mean, we may effectively have a pre-emptive fork in progress, where the blessed (by virtue of being part of emacs) future muse branch will wither before it gets started. Being blessed won't help muse compete with emacs-wiki having lots of users, especially those as mad daft keen as Sacha :-)

b. *Why* bother then? I got the impression from your mail that interest in muse was welcome but rare. Don't get me wrong; I understand the technical attractions of muse. But they don't *appear* to be compelling to many people. Why burn yourself out if no one is really that bothered?

And - and this is a *really* dangerous and provocative question to ask[1]:

c. Sacha et al, why don't you guys just stop emacs-wiki/planner development forthwith and everyone just switch to the muse branch? (That's really not a rhetorical question.) We'd take a hit in the short term, but pretty soon muse would be the bee's knees.

tc

[1] Because it screams to be answered with, "And why don't *you*, TC, help out, instead of pontificating about what others should do!?" Which is a perfectly reasonable scream. Answer: because I have time to write emails like this, but not to learn lisp and the muse code well enough to help. If writing emails like this is worse than shutting up entirely, then I can shut up :-)