[emacs-wiki-discuss] Preliminary support for tasks with multiple plan pa

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Preliminary support for tasks with multiple plan pages
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:45:35 +0900

Hello, everyone!

Happy New Year! I hope you'll continue using Planner and tweaking it
to fit your personal way of working. Due to popular demand (and a fair
bit of free time this vacation), I've hacked up preliminary support
for multiple task pages, and I'm looking forward to receiving lots of
great suggestions (and <urp> bug reports) from you! ^_^

planner-multi.el tries its very best not to break existing code, so
theoretically you should be able to just require it and go along your
merry way.

Here's how you can try it out:

1. Update your dev version of planner (sorry, lots of arch thrashing).
2. (require 'planner-multi)
3. M-x planner-create-task-from-buffer RET
   Try new planner support for multiple plan pages RET
   RET                               ; to schedule stuff for today
   planner"debug RET                 ; Yes, that's really a " there; long story

If it hasn't crashed and burned yet, you should see your task show up on
the "planner" and "debug" plan pages, which are created if necessary.

(Yes, it accepts non-wiki-case stuff. You can refer to those pages
with [[planner]] and so on.)

I am embarrased to say that a better separator hasn't come to mind.
Here are the comments from the source file:

;; There are no words to express how ugly this hack is.
;; " " would be most readable, but completing-read-multiple binds SPC to
minibuffer-complete-word.
;; "," would be the next choice, but emacs-wiki-link-at-point doesn't recognize
it.
;; "'" doesn't require a shift key, but emacs-wiki doesn't highlight it as a
link.
;; "[" is already taken by the emacs-wiki linking thing.
;; "(" is used by the parenthesis around the link text.
(PlannerModeMaintenance(TestPage) raises my hackles.
;; So that leaves us with <, >, ", {, }, and (.
;; Waah. There has to be a better way around this.
(defcustom planner-multi-separator "\""
  "String that separates multiple page references."
  :type 'string
  :group 'planner)

Suggestions would be very, very, very much appreciated.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed