Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler

From: Carl Worth
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:48:59 -0500

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:02:38 +0900, Sacha Chua wrote:
> I knew planner-use-day-pages might be handy someday! <impish grin>
> (Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first person...)

I'll have to look at that. It doesn't sound like what I want though. I
do want to be able to assign tasks to days, I just don't want to have to
do it by default.

> Stuff like
>
> #A0 _ Test manual tasks
>
> is fine, but Emacs doesn't have a way of automatically knowing that
> whatever you should type in should be cross-linked. I was playing
> around with the idea of post-command-hook, but it's still far, far too
> complex for me.

Emacs has lots of ways of knowing. It's already automatically coloring the
#A0 for me after all. I think the key is to make sure the task line has
enough structure to avoid false positives from the detection.

> then hit C-c C-c (planner-copy-or-move-task). It's actually also
> easier to type the date in that way.

Oh, hey! So there is an existing function that does the processing
already. Well, I'm certainly learning a lot. I'd probably be fine with
using an explicit keybinding to avoid the robustness problems of
automatically detecting a task entry.

-Carl