[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: choosing to annotate tasks or not

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: choosing to annotate tasks or not
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:43:22 +0800

Yvonne Thomson <address@hidden> writes:

> I've got a minor problem with planner-create-task-from-buffer and,
> incidentally, remember. The problem is, what the heck do you do if
> you *don't* want your context saved?

You can quickly switch to a date page. I bind planner-goto-today to a
convenient shortcut key for this. If planner-create-task-from-buffer
detects it's on a date page, it doesn't store the annotation. I use
this all the time. =)

I've modified planner-create-task to do the right thing, though. It'll
prompt for a plan page, defaulting to the current one. This makes it a
bit of a hassle when creating tasks that are supposed to show up on
this plan page, so if people complain we'll find a way of tweaking the
behavior. Perhaps it should prompt only when it's not on a planner
page?

I can revert this behavior if people find it annoying. =)

> it was it'd try to fake it claim to have created an annotation when
> it hadn't. which didn't work, since planner-create-task kept giving
> me from with no annotations.

That's odd. If the annotation functions return "", then no annotation
should be supplied.

> What I've ended up doing is defining a function called
> planner-create-task-no-annotation which, within the context of that

That's perfectly all right. =)

> a mallet, <grin>. Should I have tried something else? Or is this
> just heading down the path of reactive tasks, and I should be shot
> for even considering such an evil thing.

I find it easier to hit my shortcut for going to today's page and then
create a task from there, but that's probably just me. <grin>

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun