emacs-tangents

Re: no to war in Ukraine

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: no to war in Ukraine
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:08:53 +0300

* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-02-28 15:53]:
> Your argument that we shouldn't deny access to all free software to russians
> is valid. I am mainly concerned about things that can be used to do major
> war crimes

I think you look at wrong causes.

For products like software you cannot possibly know for what they will
be used.

And you cannot "forbid" it really.

For example, US could produce some weapons and sell such weapons to
country X with condition NOT to sell weapons to country Y. Though
country X eventually sells it to country Y. It is difficult to forbid
selling weapons unspoken how difficult it would be to find out who
used software and under which circumstances.

To win in the court you would need proofs, and which court will go
after whatever generals in far countries where you do not have
jurisdiction. You would need to go into that country or hire attorney
in that country to represent your copyrights, that means you would
still need to communicate to people related to bloody enemy who used
your software; then you would spend money and be subjugated to their
laws; and you would need to prove that software was used under terms
not given by you.

Good luck with it.

However, if you do change licenses to your software, that software
becomes proprietary.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns