emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 10:36:33 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: bugs@gnu.support, arthur.miller@live.com, ams@gnu.org,
>       dgutov@yandex.ru, ulm@gentoo.org, emacs-tangents@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 01:35:54 -0500
>
> So if using repology.org helps you work on Emacs, by all means use it.
> (Did anyone here say you shouldn't?)
>
> But we shouldn't refer _the public_ to repology.org.

I'm part of that public, and so are the other GNU maintainers.  I see
no reason why I should know about repology.org, but other Emacs users
cannot.

Your words could also be interpreted to mean that every single user of
Emacs can know about repology.org, but all of them together shouldn't.
That interpretation sounds very strange and even absurd to me, but the
way you (and others) worded this rule speaks for itself.