emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 01:35:54 -0500

  > Just saying that a package exists and showing where its repository is
  > etc. is nowhere near promotion, it's simply information.

Please see the node References in the GNU Coding Standards for an
explanation of why informing people that an obscure package exists is
a form of promoting it.

repology.org is a catalog of packages including some nonfree packages.
Because of the latter, we don't want to refer the public there.

This is not to say that using repology.org is ipso facto bad.  It is
certainly possible to use repology.org to do good things.  In some
cases it would be good to tell a free software developer about
repology.org because that would aid per free software work.

So if using repology.org helps you work on Emacs, by all means use it.
(Did anyone here say you shouldn't?)

But we shouldn't refer _the public_ to repology.org.

--
Dr Richard Stallman