Re: org-ctags land grab

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: org-ctags land grab
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:50:19 +0700

On 23/03/2023 17:49, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Nick Dokos writes:

It is off until org-ctags is loaded. *When* it is loaded, it runs
`(org-ctags-enable)' and the behavior changes.

Sure. This is not by itself a big deal. A number of Elisp libraries,
including built-in Emacs libraries are loaded with side effects.

It is still violation of conventions:

(info "(elisp) Coding Conventions")
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Coding-Conventions.html
D.1 Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions

Simply loading a package should not change Emacs’s editing behavior.
Include a command or commands to enable and disable the feature, or to
invoke it.

This convention is mandatory for any file that includes custom
definitions. If fixing such a file to follow this convention requires an
incompatible change, go ahead and make the incompatible change; don’t
postpone it.

Notice *incompatible*.