Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 22:24:29 -0500

> What should happen is that
> 1) packages.el should see that I'm trying to install a package that requires
> 9.2.6 as a dependency and it should notify me that 9.1.9 is already
> installed and do I really want to do that, etc.
>
> 2) *or* just consider that it's better for me to use 9.2.6 instead of
> whatever comes with emacs and make sure that the older package is forgotten
> by emacs.

I think 2 is the right option.  package.el was designed such that you
can have various versions of a given package installed.  Only one of the
can be activated at any given time, because Emacs Lisp doesn't provide any
way to do better, but having both Org-9.1.9 and Org-9.2.6 installed
should be a perfectly normal situation.

Any misbehavior that results from this should be reported as a bug
(especially if it can be reproduced).

        Stefan