Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 08:14:20 +0900

Nick, thank you for your reply.

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 4:15, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> org 9.1.9 is a built-in
>>
>> but org 9.2.6 comes as a dependency to some packages and having both
>> installed creates conflicts.
>>

> What conflicts are you seeing?

At one point I was unable to archive subtrees because some function was
undefined.
I uninstalled 9.2.6 and the issues was fixed.

> I have the built-in 9.1.9 org that
> comes with emacs but I run (close to) latest master and I see no
> problems:

Obviously you are not the typical user... :)

What should happen is that
1) packages.el should see that I'm trying to install a package that requires
9.2.6 as a dependency and it should notify me that 9.1.9 is already installed
and do I really want to do that, etc.

2) *or* just consider that it's better for me to use 9.2.6 instead of whatever
comes with emacs and make sure that the older package is forgotten by emacs.

But honestly, I think 1) should be the default for any package.

Jean-Christophe Helary