emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Optical Size Adjustment of Variable Fonts in Emac

From: Oliver Taylor
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Optical Size Adjustment of Variable Fonts in Emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 06:59:23 -0700

> Strangely enough, I don't see that optical effect, neither on my
> system nor in the images you provided in the blog.  I guess this could
> be individual.

I should probably have selected a font pairing, for the screenshots, that makes
it more obvious.

It is possible that the issue may be specific to Mac users with high DPI
screens, I’m not sure, I don’t have another machine to test on. Hopefully the
solution is generic enough to be applicable in a variety of circumstances.

> You have described the relationship correctly, but only for the
> default case.  If the variable-pitch face and/or fixed-pitch face are
> customized to be defined differently, for example, if they inherit
> their size from some face other than the default face, your
> conclusions might be wrong.  So some word of warning to the readers is
> in order, I think.

An excellent point, I’ll include a note.