Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:29:28 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  tats@debian.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>>   spwhitton@spwhitton.name,  1021842@bugs.debian.org
>> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:42:08 +0000
>>
>> > You mean, from master to emacs-29, I guess?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>> > What was the motivation for that change?  The log message doesn't
>> > explain the problem it meant to solve in enough detail, it just says
>> > something about creating the file twice?  How can that happen? who
>> > creates the file the second time?
>>
>> Before e6043641d30 the file was created by Fmake_temp_file_internal and
>> afterwards overwritten by libgccjit.  So I guess one could remove the
>> file after the first creation and make it a link pointing to some other
>> file waiting for libgccjit to do its write.
>
> Then it's okay to cherry-pick it to emacs-29.  (I actually am not sure
> why we didn't install it on emacs-29 to begin with, but never mind.)

I didn't install it at the time in emacs-29 as I thought this had
nothing to do with security.  Anyway this turned out not to be the best
solution, so after today's discussion in this thread I've installed
5d0b45cd67b into emacs-29 as should be the optimal fix.

Note there will be conflict in mergin 29 into 30 and we'll have to
accept the change in 29 (sorry never managed to get gitmerge.el working
here).

Best Regards

  Andrea