Re: emacs-29 e2ac0d416b9 1/5: ; Merge from origin/emacs-28

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: emacs-29 e2ac0d416b9 1/5: ; Merge from origin/emacs-28
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:31:08 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>>     ; Merge from origin/emacs-28
>>
>>     The following commits were skipped:
>>
>>     e339926272a Fix etags local command injection vulnerability
>>     5d05ea803e9 Fixed ctags local command execute vulnerability
>>     22fb5ff5126 Fix ruby-mode.el local command injection vulnerability (b...
>>     807d2d5b3a7 Fix htmlfontify.el command injection vulnerability.
>>     ae9bfed50db Fix storing email into nnmail by Gnus
>
> Stefan, why did you merge from emacs-28 to emacs-29?  I think it's a
> mistake: who knows what this brought to the release branch.

We know what this brought though?  You can see the full list of changes
with "git diff", e.g.:

    git diff 068b53500e24b7b..ad6c6a3a11569c4

> If the reason was etc/HISTORY, I'd prefer making that change in
> emacs-29 by hand instead.  Are there any other reasons?

Yes, ChangeLog.3, and AUTHORS too.  Of course we can copy the files and
commit them manually, but AFAIK that's what merge is intended for.  It
also preserves history and lets us use the same tags on master as on the
release branch.

What am I missing?