Re: Android port

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:56:14 +0100

Hi,

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I believe the Android port of Emacs is now more or less feature
> complete.
>
> It can be found on the feature/android branch of the Emacs repository,
> and should support all (mipsel, arm, armv7l, mips64, aarch64 and x86)
> Android devices capable of running Android 2.2 or later.  You can obtain
> a check out of that code like so:
>
>   $ git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git -b feature/android
>
> Please give it as much testing as you can on real hardware from many
> different Android vendors.  Follow the instructions in INSTALL.android
> to build and install Emacs for your specific device.  In addition,
> please submit patches and report editing modes that do not work well
> with the input methods of various on screen keyboards, along with other
> bugs, using ``M-x report-emacs-bug RET.''
>
> The answers to various common questions (such as ``how to access
> external storage'', or ``where does Emacs put its init.el'') are in the
> Android appendix of the Emacs manual in the branch.
>
> Prebuilt binaries will be made available shortly, but please do not
> expect them to contain all dependencies with which Emacs can be built.
> At present, I don't recommend using binaries from f-droid.org, since
> they are out of date, but I will ask the f-droid packagers to rectify
> that problem.
>
> I will post this news to comp.emacs; please post this to other forums
> frequented by Emacs users as well.

Thanks for the effort.  I was quite excited for this.

For now, I was trying to make an out-of-tree build without gnutls.  This
configuration appears to be broken (though, not due to gnutls):

  make[2]: Entering directory '/home/arsen/gnu/emacs-android/build/java'
  make[2]: *** No rule to make target '../java/Makefile.in', needed by
'Makefile'.  Stop.
  make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/arsen/gnu/emacs-android/build/java'

I'll report a fix when I come up with one.

Have a lovely day.
--
Arsen Arsenović