Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:34:43 +0000

>> at feature/inhibit-native-comp-cleanup I've pushed the branch I'm
>> testing that:
>>
>>   . removes the EMACS_INHIBIT_AUTOMATIC_NATIVE_COMPILATION environment
>>     variable
>>   . removes `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' variable and uses
>>     `native-comp-deferred-compilation', with or without
>>     `comp-enable-subr-trampolines' (as needed), instead
>>   . adds a third possible value to `comp-enable-subr-trampolines', a
>>     string that specifies a directory in which to deposit the JIT
>>     compiled trampolines
>>   . updates the doc string of `native-comp-never-optimize-functions' to
>>     mention its effect on trampolines
>>   . updates some do doc here and there accordingly
>
> The one thing which I think would help avoid surprises is:
>
> when `comp-enable-subr-trampolines` is non-nil (and not a string) and
> ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache is not writable (e.g. because $HOME doesn't exist)
> we should produce the trampolines somewhere in
> `temporary-file-directory` (maybe by setting
> `comp-enable-subr-trampolines` to an appropriate string)
>

>         Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I'm positive about the concept of staying on the safe side on this, I'm
just not a big fan of leaving `comp-enable-subr-trampolines' value
mutated.  Dunno maybe we should just trying `temporary-file-directory'
as last resource in our search for a suitable place for a trampoline?

BR

  Andrea