Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:17:16 -0500

> at feature/inhibit-native-comp-cleanup I've pushed the branch I'm
> testing that:
>
>   . removes the EMACS_INHIBIT_AUTOMATIC_NATIVE_COMPILATION environment
>     variable
>   . removes `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' variable and uses
>     `native-comp-deferred-compilation', with or without
>     `comp-enable-subr-trampolines' (as needed), instead
>   . adds a third possible value to `comp-enable-subr-trampolines', a
>     string that specifies a directory in which to deposit the JIT
>     compiled trampolines
>   . updates the doc string of `native-comp-never-optimize-functions' to
>     mention its effect on trampolines
>   . updates some do doc here and there accordingly

The one thing which I think would help avoid surprises is:

when `comp-enable-subr-trampolines` is non-nil (and not a string) and
~/.emacs.d/eln-cache is not writable (e.g. because $HOME doesn't exist)
we should produce the trampolines somewhere in
`temporary-file-directory` (maybe by setting
`comp-enable-subr-trampolines` to an appropriate string)

        Stefan