Re: c-ts-mode: (eq treesit-font-lock-level 2) doesn't fontify parameter

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: c-ts-mode: (eq treesit-font-lock-level 2) doesn't fontify parameter names.
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 16:36:25 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Feb 04, 2023 at 17:04:33 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 14:49:15 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > Setting treesit-font-lock-level to 2 for c-ts-mode fontifies variable
> > definitions, but not parameter definitions.

> Thanks for the report, but please report this as a bug, and please
> provide a reproducer (what are "parameter definitions"?).

Done.

> > There appears to be no (documented) way to get traditional C Mode
> > fontification back.  Perhaps there should be.

> How can one know what are "traditional C Mode fontifications"?  Is
> there any concise description of those, in terms of C language
> grammar?  If there is such a description, can you point us to it?  And
> if it doesn't exist, could you perhaps produce one?

My saying "traditional C Mode fontification" was just a pompous way of
saying "parameters fontified as well as variables", but avoiding
repetition.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

There is no such description, and I can't see that it would be very
helpful to anybody, particularly considering the time taken to write it.

It would be thoroughly unreasonable to expect c-ts-mode to fontify
identically to C Mode in every respect.  But I think having declarations
of both parameters and variables fontified, but not their uses, is a
worthwhile strategy.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).