Re: Questions regarding PGTK, high-dpi font-rendering, new X11-Warning

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Questions regarding PGTK, high-dpi font-rendering, new X11-Warning
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 08:48:16 +0800

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

> I also was under the impression that fondering is better using PGTK when
> using a high dpi screen, even under X11. Was that wrong?

If by "fondering" you mean font display, then yes, that was wrong: the
same Cairo font backend as the default X11 build is also used by the
PGTK build.

> Now there's this big warning block wich appears when you use PGTK under
> X11.

> - Will it break emacs --daemon? The frame is spawned right when the X11
>   display connection is initiated.

Yes, it will crash regardless.

> - I think it kinda rude to right out spawn a big window on every start,
>   it doesn't fit into how emacs usually acts. What I'm trying to say is
>   I think it is ok so show a warning every time server starts but adding
>   this big blob of text that spawns 2/10 of the screen when Emacs is in
>   fullscreen is a little much.

The other alternative we considered was to prevent Emacs from starting
under X11 when compiled with PGTK.

> I wonder how viable this strategy if Emacs has to be compiled twice for
> Wayland support.

The alternative is to have an Emacs that crashes under X11 in various
common situations.  Please read the message in the dialog box.