Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 15:30:04 +0200

> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:32:53 +0100 (CET)
> From: xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Cc: johnw@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, stefankangas@gmail.com
>
> Nov 13, 2022, 20:04 by eliz@gnu.org:
>
> >> You said this can be fixed, of course but wouldn't it be much
> >> easier to do without fighting backwards compatibility issues of
> >> core code?
> >
> > Why would maintaining use-package in core present more
> > backward-compatibility issues than when it's maintained outside?
>
> Same reason emacs-devel is not responsible for every single line of
> Elisp code on the Internet?  External packages seem to get more love
> from their developers.

Admitting a package into Emacs doesn't mean its developer goes away
and we take over.  If the developer can make changes in ELPA, he or
she can also make changes in Emacs.  Assuming that the developer wants
to continue developing the package, of course (if not, it means the
package would have died anyway).

IOW, I see no reason to expect that adding a package to Emacs will
slow down, let alone "freeze" its development, not because of it was
added to Emacs anyway.