Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 08:27:16 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Why don't you?  This package has been very popular for a long time and
> at least I haven't seen anyone complain about it not being in core.
> Whatever gets included seem to freeze in time and becomes very hard to
> make non-breaking changes

First of all, this is untrue.  I think we have always let whoever
happens to be maintaining a package in core decide which changes to
make, and that includes breaking ones.

Secondly, not making breaking changes does not cause you to ``freeze in
time''.

> and their writers probably get frustrated from that more easily and
> stop developing it.

Any statistics?

> There's ever more lines of code and more packages, I don't think this
> direction is sustainable and I hope you will reconsider this approach
> of adding everything to core at some point.

Personally, I hope that everything most people find useful will
eventually make its way into Emacs, because doing so is a direct
shortcut to making Emacs more useful for everyone.