Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 07:07:47 +0000

>>> I would personally like to see the package in core if at all possible, and
>>> John has also expressed interest in that. Personally I'd prefer if
>>> development continues in core after upstreaming, but it is upto John to
>>> decide. I know that Modus-themes and Org both are developed out of tree, and
>>> only merged in when the package version is bumped. Which means history is
>>> lost, but clearly that hasn't been a problem and maintainers of those
>>> packages prefer it.
>>
>> I'm entirely in support of the code and its development moving directly into
>> core. Whichever best supports the Emacs developers and the needs of the
>> community, since it is more than likely that future work will be carried out
>> by others. I'm ready to hand it off in whatever way is desired by the team
>> here.
>
> IMHO, for that to make sense, someone capable would have to volunteer to
> maintain it on our side.  If we don't have such a volunteer, it makes
> more sense to me to keep development external for now.
>
> If we see a need to move development fully into core in the future, we
> can always do that, but the reverse is harder.

I agree, a transitory stage where use-package is still maintained
externally sounds like the safer bet for now.

> (If we want to preserve history when making such a move at a later date,
> we could just delete our existing copy of the file from emacs.git and
> then merge the full git history, just as we did with eglot.el.)

In that case, what is left is completing the .texi manual, or am I
mistaken?  After that, I suppose that placing the right files in the
right places in emacs.git will be less that a days work.