Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 21:23:01 +0530

First, thank you Stefan for stepping up to do the work!

I have been quite swamped with $LIFE and haven't been able to dedicate
sufficient time to use-package upstreaming as much as I would have
liked. That makes your interest all the more welcome!

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> OK, thanks.  I now did my homework and read the related threads (sorry
>> for not doing that first).

I might be bit out of loop on today's emails, let me know if I miss
anything below :)

>> 1. Does that mean that it is actually preferred to make all changes
>>    directly in use-package.texi now?
>
> That is my understanding

+1

>> 2. Should use-package.org just be scrapped, then?  (I guess that, if the
>>    answer is yes, we should first export the latest version of that file
>>    to use-package.texi, and then continue from there.)
>
> That would follow.

Pick whichever way you're most comfortable with, as long as the end
result is acceptable by maintainers, shouldn't be a problem.

>> 3. Payas mentioned working on the texinfo sources.  What's the status of
>>    that work?  I'm ready to get started, but it seems better if we can
>>    avoid doing the same work twice, so maybe I should base it on his
>>    latest version?
>
> That I cannot say.

As mentioned above, I have been barely able to give any time to work on
this. Please go ahead with anything you would like to work on.

>>> How does Org-mode distinguish between @key, @kbd, @code and @var?
>>
>> See org-setup.org, org.org and the generated file org.texi.  Basically
>> they use org-mode macros to add texinfo markup.
>
> Oh, that is interesting.  Perhaps this would work too, my experience
> with org->texi has been dissatisfactory but limited.

I would personally like to see the package in core if at all possible,
and John has also expressed interest in that. Personally I'd prefer if
development continues in core after upstreaming, but it is upto John to
decide. I know that Modus-themes and Org both are developed out of tree,
and only merged in when the package version is bumped. Which means
history is lost, but clearly that hasn't been a problem and maintainers
of those packages prefer it.