Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 08:30:39 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > What justifies this kind of gaslighting against Melpa?
>
> That is a nasty thing to say, because "Gaslighting" means a kind of
> lying.  Our objections to MELPA are about MELPA's policies and
> actions.  You can verify for yourself what we say.
> We reject MELPA because it includes packages that do not meet our
> standards.  For instance, it accepts packages that violate our our
> moral standard: nonfree programs are an injustice and it is wrong to
> recommend people use one.  MELPA includes packages that recommend
> specific nonfree programs.

Yes as you were implying that all programs on Melpa are bad, as said
earlier a lot of reasons why people use Melpa is because there's no
other option provided by Emacs/Gnu to contribute in other ways than
mailing-list.
While for some that is for many it is not.

> moral standard: nonfree programs are an injustice and it is wrong to
> recommend people use one.  MELPA includes packages that recommend
> specific nonfree programs.

I don't recommend non free programs, Melpa doesn't even contain non free
programs.

You reject it, you can't speak for everyone but I assume you speak for
yourself and the Gnu project.

> We are fighting to get rid of nonfree software, so we have a policy
> that we don't refer people to sites that recommend nonfree programs.

I get that people need to be able to interact with these kinds of
platfroms still. While we probably all non free programs will cease to
exist this won't happen any day. Either you can use Emacs in your day to
day work or you can't.

> You don't have to agree with our policies or the values they are based
> on.  But this list is the wrong place to argue against them.  If you
> want to do that, you can do it on gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org.

Well you started it.

Your narrow minded view hurts your mission in the end..
Gplv3 all over again..

Sometimes it might not hurt to argue a little diplomatic.

Br,

Björn