Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 20:51:30 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 19:35:19 +0100
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, philipk@posteo.net,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The GNU Project uses CVS.  We need Emacs to continue to support it.
>
> I don't think anyone disagrees with that (though some people might ask
> why GNU is still using CVS).

That question is not really relevant to the issue at hand.

> But isn't this discussion about package-vc.el?  I don't think I
> understand how a convenience feature intended to simplify Emacs
> package installation and development could affect the GNU project as a
> whole.  Are there any GNU packages for Emacs that still use CVS?  If
> yes, why don't they use Git?

Again, not relevant.  package-vc should support all the VCS backends
that VC supports, for as long as Emacs supports that VCS in general.
(If you want to argue for removing support for CVS, you may, but
that's a separate discussion.)

I understand Stefan's opinion, but it isn't our policy, at least not
yet, not until and unless we decide to drop support for all the VCSes
except Git.