Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:36:35 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> On my system, using Emacs 28 and latest Org, exporting org-manual +
>> org-guide takes 18.8 sec. This time includes genering the .texi files
>> and running texinfo. From that 18.8 sec, texinfo takes 3.4 sec to run.
>>
>> org export takes: 15.4 sec, which is 4.5 x texinfo time.
>> Considering that Org export is more sofisticated compared to texinfo and
>> that Org export is written in Elisp, I see this performance as
>> acceptable for a documentation system.
>
> I don't know about "acceptable", sorry.  It is definitely "endurable",
> but 18.8 seconds is annoyingly long for an optimized build of Emacs to
> do anything this simple.

Ok. I pushed things a bit further. The latest Org main takes ~8sec to
generate Org manual. This _includes_ makeinfo call. Now, Org export
takes the same time with texinfo - ~4sec on my system.

Further improvements are not trivial, given my familiarity with Org
babel and Org export code.

> Can you find any other single command that's part of building Emacs
> which takes a comparable amount of time in an optimized build?

Optimized Emacs build takes >30 minutes on my system. Mainly because of
native compilation. 40, 20, or 10 seconds spent generating Org
documentation are negligible for me.

Best,
Ihor